Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Baby Steps

Years ago, when I was first diagnosed with MS, I was complaining (whining?) to a dear friend about the fatigue. I couldn't seem to finish things because I got so overwhelmed and so tired. She told me (and I'll never forget this ... it's not verbatim, but the thoughts are pretty much the same), "Set small goals. For example, if you're cleaning the house, set your goal to clean only the living room. If you finish cleaning the living room, you've met your goal. But if you have extra energy and can clean the kitchen as well, you've met your goal, and went beyond."

"Or, like, if it's dinnertime. Set a small goal to make an easy dinner. You have a casserole in the oven, or something in the crock pot, and you've met your goal. But you have some extra energy left over and want to make dessert. You've met your goal, and went beyond."

It was so simple, but she had the wisdom to bring it to light for me. Simply adjust your expectation level. This works in so many areas of people's lives. Many suffer through a burn-out stage. (Myself, when I was healthy, included.) They ... WE ... had such high levels of self-expectation, and wore ourselves to an absolute frazzle trying to accomplish it all. (This is where Delegation comes in!)

What a difference her insight made on my attitude and mental perspective! Set small goals. Take baby steps. Where is it written that you have to leap the Grand Canyon? Do WHAT you can do, but do it WELL.

Instead of beating myself up because I couldn't do as much as I had been able to do before, I became more realistic with my expectations. I did NOT lower my standards because, what I could do, I did well! It helped maintain my self-esteem in more ways than one.

Hans Christian Anderson said, Nothing is too high for a man to reach, but he must climb with care and confidence. I must be careful not to set my goals too low, but I must be realistic, too. My goals should be high enough to challenge me, high enough that I climb with care and confidence, but not so high that they are impossible to reach.

1 comment:

  1. thumbs up, Pandy, and an important thing for ALL of us to remember. :)+

    ReplyDelete