Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Who Am I?

I am a writer; a poet.

I am a Greyhound Mom, a Feathered Friends Mom.

I am a child of God.

I am an intelligent, creative Woman of Worth.

I am a person with a disability.

So often I hear (and from those who love me) that "you can't do 'this and such'," and "you shouldn't try" and "you may hurt yourself."

Discouragement spoken in love. Protection. I understand and can see that the intents of those hearts are only for good.

But what is "good?" It is "good" for whom? Me? Them? Someone else? Who am I? I am not a disability.

I momentarily shift my point of perspective (there's that word again!) to watch the wild birds that fly through the air. I take note of their freedom. What man can spread his arms and fly? Is that a man's disability? From a bird's perspective, it may be. Or, are birds free enough within themselves not to notice ... or care?

Who am I? I am a woman of worth, dependent on others, who holds on viciously to her independence, and yet who tries to discern God's higher plan for her life, and submits in humility.

Ultimately, I am those innermost thoughts and intentions and beliefs. I am my heart. I am my spirit. I am my soul. I am His.

In my weakness, He gives me strength of character.

In my neediness, He gives me what I need to encourage and support others.

During my most vulnerable moments, I choose to love.

Who am I? I am still, basically, the same person I was when healthy. I now have more physical limitations and am in a constant state of learning how to cope, compromise and accept. I am learning to recognize that which cannot be changed, and improve on that which can be changed.

I am ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment