Saturday, April 17, 2010

I Hate the "C-word!"


Can't.


Now that's a BIG C-word! I have caught myself on occasion saying, "I can't do this and such."

Those are the times when I have to step back and change my point of perspective. Instead, I try to make a deliberate decision. Instead of saying, "I can't", I really prefer to say, "I choose not to."

I'm still learning my physical and mental limitations, especially since they change all the time. I try to leave a window open for unexpected fatigue and make plans accordingly. I don't particularly LIKE to take naps in the middle of the day, but I choose to nap rather than try to deal with unwanted consequences (i.e. "upright Zombie mode").

I think the most difficult thing for me is not taking on additional projects or commitments. I'm fine with short-term activities, but those tend to give me a false assurance that I can do more! The long-term commitments tend to be the ones that wear me down. I TRY to select things with a flexible schedule (for example, to write a letter this month, rather than writing one each week). Sometimes I forget! Sometimes I over-commit! Then I'm dealing with the consequences.

And I don't like this! So I choose to decide, and try to MAKE WISE DECISIONS! This type of attitude takes the control away from the MonSter and I'm no longer a helpless victim.

No comments:

Post a Comment