Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Gifts Outside My Window

Because of a disability (MS), I hadn’t been getting outside very often, and was feeling a little “house bound.” But our Father God loves us so much, and He must have noticed my frustration and sadness. Being a personal God, He met my needs and answered my prayers in His own special way ….

Each day, He takes a moment to send me a special gift — one that I can receive simply by looking out my window. Sometimes it’s as obvious as a magnificent rainbow in the sky. Other times I find that I have to wait for His gift, or look for it like I’m searching in a treasure hunt. But it’s always there, and as wondrous as the one He gave me just the day before!

I wanted to share of His goodness with others so I wrote about some of His gifts to me. All of God’s “Window Gifts” have touched my heart and spirit in different ways. He has given me fresh insight and an understanding that I never would have known if not for this window and my illness.

There is a popular inspirational saying which is very true, and characteristic of my circumstances — “When God closes a door, He opens a window.” He opens my window daily to some pretty special blessings.

(All Scripture references are from the New International Version of the Bible.)

From my window, I saw the U.S. Postal Service truck as it was driving up the road, pausing at mail boxes. It was Valentine’s Day, and I wondered what wonderful cards and letters of love that mail carrier was delivering. I smiled to think of happy recipients who opened their mail to confirmations of someone’s heartfelt devotion.

The prophets and apostles also wrote all kinds of love letters. Moses told the people that God wanted them to “love your neighbor as yourself” (Lev. 19:18) and to “love the Lord.” (Deut. 6:5) David wrote psalms of love. It was possibly Solomon who wrote an entire book about love. Apostles like Paul and Peter sent love letters to people throughout the Middle East and parts of Europe.

Jesus, the Author of Love, had much to say on the subject. And He, alone, offered the supreme Love Gift when He gave up His life, hung on a cross for peoples in all places and all times. Because of His sacrificial Love, we know that Someone loves us on Valentine’s Day, and on every day of the year.

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment