Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Many people don’t like the wind. “It messes up my hair.” “It blows dirt in my eyes.” Many people don’t like it, but I love the wind!

Breezes coax beautiful music from my wind chimes. Birds simply hold out their wings and soar on currents, and I imagine what it feels like to fly. Wind brings bits of the world to me as it pelts raindrops from the mountain against my window, or fills my home with fresh scents of springtime, or even as it shares with me the aroma of a neighbor’s breakfast bacon.

But the wind is unpredictable. I never really know from where it came, how strong it’s going to be, how long it will last. I don’t worry about it, nor spend time trying to foretell its direction, destination and results. I only sit back and enjoy it.

I am reminded that the Holy Spirit, in His sovereignty, is a lot like the wind. He works as He pleases with results I can’t predict, in ways I don’t understand. Sometimes He is a gentle breeze, sometimes a mountain storm. And with Him, my soul can soar higher than those birds in the air.

The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit. John 3:8

No comments:

Post a Comment