Sunday, February 20, 2011

Gifts Outside My Window

Spring is here and the trees are dressed with fresh foliage, already becoming lush and providing shade from the sun. From my window I can see that, even now, birds are flying to the cooler spots to look for seeds and insects. Delicate flowers begin to carefully poke their heads through those protected patches, almost as if they know that there they will escape the full intensity of summer heat.

I think of all the elements of nature - sunlight, darkness, cold, warmth, wetness, dryness - and realize the importance of balance in relationship to growth and survival. Too much of any one can cause distress or even death.

There are times when I need a balance of protection from prolonged sun exposure or intense heat. Too much can be harmful to my physical body, and I will look for the coolness of shade. Sometimes my soul, also, needs to find shade despite the season of the year. Pressures, frustrations and other breakings of the heart can leave me panting and weary for relief.

I am thankful that God, Who is already aware of my limits -- physically, emotionally and spiritually -- is a constant source of shade within my deserts. All I need to do is go to Him, and there I find protection.

You have been . . . a refuge for the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat. Isaiah 25:4

No comments:

Post a Comment