Tuesday, February 15, 2011


One of the first Bible verses I ever memorized when I was a kid was Psalms 119:105 in the KJV -- “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”

I always had a mental picture of the ‘lamp’ being like one of the kerosene lanterns we took camping with us, and the ‘light’ was … well … a pretty large illuminated area. Like the high beams from a car’s headlights. Or a lighthouse beam.

But I read that the ‘lamp’ referenced was one of those little olive oil lamps, like the one pictured at left. The light thrown off from one of those is enough to take, maybe, a step or two. And I thought, “That doesn’t make sense to me. God’s Word should be revealing … should show the way clearly ….”

Oh … oh yeah …. that’s not necessarily how you “live by faith and not by sight,” is it? It’s a matter of trust. Many times I CAN’T see clearly, but I follow that little light from an olive oil lamp (God’s Word) and TRUST Him to direct my steps.

Note: Herodian Oil Lamp 50 BC to AD 50 -- This type of oil lamp was common in Judea during the ministry of Jesus. It was known as the Herodian because of its widespread use during the reign of Herod the Great in Israel. This lamp was wheel-made with the spout applied by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment